Experiencing sniffle and shivers? Want to know how to fight a cold naturally? These are my top tips:
• KEEP HYDRATED! Increase the amount of liquid ingested, in the form of water and unsweetened herbal teas. When the membrane that lines the respiratory tract gets dry, they provide a much friendlier environment for the bacteria to settle in. Keeping Hydrated will also support your immune system by improving the function of your white blood cells ( the good guys that fight off virus and bacteria)
Juicing is a great way to help expel excess mucous. The right ratio for juicing is 5 veg to 2 fruits.
• REST! Take a nap! The immune system works better when we are in a state of relaxation, meditation and sleep.
• AVOID SUGAR! Sugar can impair immune function and make us more susceptible to infection.
• MAGNESIUM RICH FOOD: Magnesium is great for optimising energy, adapting to stress and also for supporting better quality sleep. You’ll find magnesium in green leafy veg, almonds, cashews, raw caco, legumes, figs, barley, seeds and eggs.
• TURMERIC: The golden spice has wonderful immune supporting properties, Research show that it can slow down the replication of viruses by reducing the way a virus takes control. Have a turmeric latte, a curry or in a warm bone broth.
• HOT WATER WITH LEMON HONEY AND GINGER: Naturally soothing for the throat. Look for Manuka honey for added immune boosting qualities. Put 1 tablespoon in a mug of hot water with the juice of 1-2 organic lemons and some sliced ginger.
• MEDICINAL MUSHROOM: ‘Medicinal mushrooms’, such as maitake , shiitake and oyster mushrooms contain an active compounds called ‘polysaccharides’, of which are beta glucan 1-3 and beta glucan 1-6. These immune supporting molecules have been shown to support the immune system’s response to viral and bacterial infection.
• Vitamin C: may reduce the severity and duration of the cold. Antiviral properties Dosage: 500 to 1000mcg
• Zinc: relieves symptoms of a sore throat, has antiviral activity and support the immune system. Dosage : 75mg a day
Note: If you experience more than three colds a year or your symptoms persist for more than five days, it could be a marker for a struggling immune system. Please feel free to contact me if you want to have a chat about it! I offer a 15 mn free consultation !